Monday, May 30, 2005

The sun doesn't go down

One of the things I did not consider about the UK is that there would be such llooooonnnnnnnggggggggggg days in summer. It's still sunny until about 9.30 to 10pm and dawn appears to be about 3 or 3.30 am (I know this because I stayed up all night playing computer games the other day). Its all a bit disconserting, as the idea of going to bed about the time the sun goes down is odd.

And long weekends to. We are at home having a relaxing day as today is a bank holiday. This is the second one in May. I thought that this was an indication that there would be heaps of days off over here, but apparently there isn't another one for months. Tear. So today the garden is getting weeded, new seedlings are being planted and the playoff to get into the Premiership is on the tele in a few hours. If I was anymore relaxed I'd be commatose.

Kat and I have also begun looking for a house to buy. We seem to have settled on a town called Didcot. It has it all, a much shorter drive to Oxford, a really good train connection, and a massive coal power station. Sure, it doesn't sound glamorous, but we are planning to not be too close to the power station of the powerlines that spread out from it. An area known as Ladygrove was recommended, but dropped down the list as we found the powerlines go through it. Sure, the houses are knew, but who needs big powerlines. So the older part of town looks the goods. We'll keep you updated on how things are going.

That's about it for now. Enjoy your 5 day week, and word to Kat's mum.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Ok I find it ironic that you are thinking of buying in Didcot...my bestfriend lived there with her boyfriend for about 1.5 years.

Today is a public holiday in the USA too....so I will be enjoying my 4 day week too (oh except for that pesky new person orientation thingy I have to do on Tuesday).