I have so many questions, and you are so far away. Please, teach me your wise ways and the ways of the womenfolk passed down from generation to generation.
Why does the oven have this strange gas mark system? Does that mean that it was invented before the thermometer, or that it doesn't have a thermostat.
How do I cook with gas? I thought it would come back to me instantly, but I realised that I have gotten used to walking away from the stove until I hear the sizzle of overflowing liquid on the electric hob. At least the cast iron casserole dish you got me is now getting proper use.
How do you heat food without a microwave? I know how daddy used to do it, I can still remember the clouds of acrid grey smoke. But I assume there is a better way which means you can still eat the food when it is warm.
How did you cope with the old kitchen for so many years and how am I going to cope with my tiny kitchen with only two metres of bench space?
What do I have to do to protect clothes and books and other things that I am storing in the loft, without the overpowering smell of moth balls?
What clothes can I get rid of so that I can fit everything in, without needing to fill up the guest room wardrobe?
How do I clean a forty year old bathroom so that I don't feel dirty even when I am in the shower? This country doesn't have gumption.
When did I become so spoilt?
How do I live without internet? Oh wait, we have sorted that one now at least.
Lots of love,
Die kleine engineer
PS can you ask dad if there is any way of making our phone line wireless router work with cable broadband?
5 comments:
congratulations!!
can we see some more photos?!
Re the broadband. You might be able to get this to work. I have managed to get it working in the past for some people. Depending on the brand/model of your phone router (ADSL I assume?) you should have one port marked "uplink" or perhaps 100/1000. Try plugging the UTP cable into this port and the other end into the modem. The big issue is if the router can be configured to use the IP details supplied by the modem as a gateway. If this works you should be fine.
thanks, but we just ended up getting a new router. there is too much on the to do list to fiddle with things that complicated!
Hooray for catching up after an extended absence! The house looks great, and I can offer you an answer to the moth ball question (though you may well have worked this out already): cedar. Moths hate it, humans love it. My parents put cedar panels on the walls of the bigger closets off the bedrooms, and they work a treat. You can find the panels pretty easily back home at hardware and DIY shops, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them over there.
Thanks for linking to Lit Girls, too (we'll be adding links soon, and I'll return the favour), but I can't help but notice that I have yet to receive any book suggestions from you two!
nice photo yosh! thanks for the cedar option - i did not know. now all i have to do is find a cedar chest over here.
I have been meaning to sit down in front of my book shelf and write some suggestions down for you, but there have been so many good ones so far, i can't imagine you running out any time soon.
kat
Post a Comment