We have mixed up our routine a bit since getting back by getting a weekly delivery of a fruit and vegetables box. We get a mixed organics box. The advantage of this company is that via the website you can let them know your likes and dislikes, if you have too many potatoes already, etc. Our first box has been lovely. And an adventure - there were three vegetables in the box which i have never had in my kitchen before.
Our normal routine, since I get home after 7pm, is that I cook basic meals or we eat ready-made meals during the week, and I try to something special on the weekend. With the box, that all changes. Suddenly I am scouring the cookbooks and the internet (thank bbc food) to find recipes. So far we have had caramelised chicory (with pasta shells stuffed with brie and baby spinach) and Jamie Oliver's beetroot and pear salad (made and eaten while wearing a white shirt, of course). I have eaten both chicory and fresh beetroot before, but i had never prepared them. And they were very nice (the salad was actually a bit posh for eating from chipped ikea bowls in front of the tv, but we beat the snobbery out of it), and we have some beetroot left to throw on the bbq when we get some more gas.
Now i just have to find a recipe for real fresh spinach. The big stuff. And a recipe, possibly a chutney, with cooked mango since neither adam nor i eat them fresh. And then i have to find a loganberry jam recipe because we planted a loganberry bush (we also planted some raspberry canes, but they won't last long enough to be preserved).
Friday, May 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can't believe you don't eat raw mango! What's wrong with you both?? Admittedly the mangos here are like little rocks compared to the Aussie ones, but nonetheless, mango is my favourite summer fruit. So juicy and delicious. I can't imagine how cooking them changes much tastewise, except maybe drying them out a bit which would pretty much ruin them :-)
I think you're missing out - but... actually why don't you give up on cooking them and express post them over here to me?
it is so raw, it wouldn't need the express post. it really is a little rock. but at least it doesn't smell yet.
Sounds like it's not even worth bothering with. I don't really know why Europeans bother with mangoes. They clearly don't know what the real thing should look/smell/taste like :-)
Post a Comment