I've been away in Swansea for a conference for a week. I learnt heaps: don't drink water, especially in Boston; don't go swimming, especially in the Netherlands. I got there a day early with the other Aussies. We chose to forgo the university dorm accommodation for a B&B in the Mumbles, the headland to the west of Swansea with good cafes and restaurants and pubs.
Melita mentioned she had never seen a castle, so Sunday was spent visiting five castles. From basic ruins (Pennard), through increasingly better preserved ruins (Woebley & Coity), to elaborately renovated in medieval style (Coch), and finally to the biggest in Wales
(Caerphilly). There were plenty of arrow slits, moats and draw bridges. And of course one of the greatest defensive measures at a castle is a great view. We also managed to fit in a visit to the town that Melita's mum had grown up in, located 30km inland of Swansea, getting a taste of life beyond the tourist trail.
After the conference, Christobel & I drove up to Newcastle (including a detour through the peak district) for a game of football. That is a 600 km drive. But we did get to see Owen's debut, although from the 7th storey stand you had to have a good eye to pick out Owen from Parker. Newcastle drew 1 all, and Owen didn't score.
Sunday, September 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Sounds like you had a good time! I can't believe you stayed in a place called 'the mumbles' - don't the English/Welsh have great place names!!
Post a Comment